Friday, April 4, 2014

Driving Test? Nailed it. The story of how I passed my driver's test.



Three week ago, I failed my driving test. I remember I just came home busting in tears because I hate failure, I try to avoid failure as much as I possibly can. So for a whole three week I didn't drive, I didn't even touch the keys to the engine! Well on the date of April 3, 2014 I was able to get my license to legally drive. Somehow, I really don't know how I was able to pass considering I haven't driven in three weeks. Some can call it a miracle or a blessing, and for whatever reason I really don't know what it was. I was focusing on the prize of accomplishment; being independent, going to places with friends, driving back to school back and forth, etc, etc.  My permit to drive expires on April 4, 2014, so you can pretty much imagine how tense and stress I was taking the test on the third. When I got to the DMV, I automatically went to the restroom because of course number one. But then somehow I spent over seven minutes in there pacing back and forth and doing all these Breathing exercises, it was quite funny from someone else's point of view. After minutes of breathing awkwardly, I headed to the short appointment lines only to take my driver's test. I gave my papers and was told to make my way outside and take my car to the designated area.

As I approached the area I was told to drive into, I was panicking more than ever, although I didn't show it externally. I was just thinking inside my head, "Oh my god. This is it. I'm actually taking my driver's test for the second time. How will I do? What if I hit the curb again? Ok I have to watch my speed, the signs, and everything I was told. Ok you can do this." My mother's boyfriend kept telling me about what do, the car's engine was loud, the fan inside the car kept swooshing and swishing, people yelling and talking, and I honestly just wanted everything to be quite for a split second so I can begin meditating in the car. Now, if you know me, meditating or being one with "nature" is just plain out stupid to me. But at that point I was trying to do everything I can to calm down my nerves. I watched as every examiner get out in the person taking the test's car. I judged each one carefully looking for potentially the best one. I saw this one young woman, with a braided ponytail and I knew, I instantly wanted her, but she kept walking towards another car, as an older, stricter lady approach my vehicle. 

The lady introduced herself to me and took my papers. She kept interrogating me about the vehicle and who my instructor was. The lady asked my mother's boyfriend that he had no right to be there, thinking he was only the instructor and not a legal guardian, which he is. She told us she had to speak to her manager about this conflict. So I sat there in my car for minutes waiting for an examiner to test me ALREADY! As time went by, my anxiety got worse and worse. Finally the manager came out and talked us through what happened and help resolve the problem. But what I found so amazing and miraculous, is that I got the young lady, with the braided hair, who I originally wanted to get. She was so nice, or must I say much nicer than the previous lady, considering driving examiners are not the nicest. She investigated my car and tested me on the parts internally. Finally, she told me to turn on my car and we drove off. 

I was tested on various objectives, speed, signs, reverse, turns, etc, etc. The test was not at all hard compared to the first time I took it. Actually, let me rephrase that... the test is NOT hard at all. No driving test is. Yea there's different critiques from different examiners, but the only thing that stops someone from doing their absolute best, is there nerves. Everyone who comes ready to take the test is well, ready! It's just the fact that, "oh this lady looks nice. This lady looks mean.."And that is what I believe stops people from doing the best that they can absolutely become on the test. The first time I automatically failed because I hit the curb, the lady was just so tense and mean. This time, I didn't hit the curb. Was I perfect? Hell no. But I didn't think about all the small mistakes, because I was allowed to miss 18 which is alot. 


As we headed back to the DMV, she announced to me that I did good and pointed out all my mistaked and what I need to do to become a better driver. But in the end I passed and that's all I really wanted for. I've been waiting three weeks to take this test. So much anxiety was filled during that time. And I can honestly just say that I am happy to get over it. I never want to take a driver's test again. I told my mom's boyfriend, "taking the driving test is alot more nerve racking than doing my elections in front of 2,000 teenagers who can potentially 'boo' at you and humiliate you." But in the end, I am just glad to finally get my license, so now off to helping my mom get hers.      



 

No comments:

Post a Comment